Individual development grants
The WLIS Individual Development Grants program supports individual women to gain skills, knowledge and qualifications to progress on their leadership pathway.
The maximum grant amount is up to $10,000 (exclusive of GST) to support course/training fees.
Examples of areas of training include, but are not limited to:
Applications are now closed
- Applications open: 9:30am (AEDT) Friday 12 February 2021
- Applications close: 5:00pm (AEDT) Wednesday 17 March 2021
Examples of institutions who offer these areas of training include, but are not limited to:
- Institutes of Technology
- Private Colleges
Consideration may be given to support travel and accommodation costs borne by successful recipients residing in rural/remote areas for attending the approved course/training.
The final grant amount will be determined by the assessment panel as part of the grants process. The amounts may vary between applicants and may not be the full amount applied for.
Successful grant applicants are offered a place at the 2021 Leadership Workshop. Please see the previous section for more information on the 2021 Leadership Workshop.
To be eligible to apply for the WLIS Individual Development Grants, an applicant must satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Identify as a woman.
- Be aged 18 years or over.
- Be an Australian citizen or have been granted permanent residence status.
- Be involved in a paid or volunteer capacity at a local, state or national level in the sport industry OR
- Was involved in a paid or volunteer capacity but the engagement/employment was impacted by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- Be supported by a sporting organisation that is, or is affiliated with either a National Sporting Organisation (NSO) recognised by Sport Australia. The supporting organisation must confirm that the individual is, or was involved in a paid or volunteer capacity at a local, state or national level in the sport industry, and that their organisation supports the application. For a list of the organisations recognised by Sport Australia please see the Australian Sports Directory.
- Apply for grant support for a course/training that commences in 2021.
- Have no outstanding acquittal and/or reporting requirements (for previous Individual Development Grant recipients).
- Not be a current employee of Sport Australia or the Australian Institute of Sport.
Sport Australia may at its sole discretion, offer an applicant special consideration if an eligibility requirement set out in these guidelines, cannot be met due to extenuating circumstances.
Eligible expenditure items
The grant funding for individuals can only be used for the approved course/training fees.
Ineligible expenditure items
Some examples of ineligible expenditure items are:
- membership fees
- travel costs
- stand-alone, one off conferences
- requests for retrospective funding
- international travel.
Individual grant recipients’ responsibilities
Individual grant recipients are required to:
- Enter into a grant agreement with Sport Australia and abide by the terms and conditions of the agreement.
- Complete an acquittal and report using the templates provided by Sport Australia and return it to Sport Australia within 30 days of the completion of the approved course/training.
- Attend the 2021 WLIS Leadership Workshop (previous workshop participants can opt out).
Terms and conditions
- If the Australian Sports Commission (referred to in these Terms and Conditions as ‘Sport Australia’) decides to issue a grant (Grant) to the applicant under the Women Leaders in Sport Program (Program), the Grant will be made subject to these Terms and Conditions.
- These Terms and Conditions, together with the notification from Sport Australia providing details of the Grant award (Successful Email), will constitute an enforceable agreement between Sport Australia and the successful applicant (Recipient) upon the Recipient accepting the Grant offer, as required by the Successful Email.
- Sport Australia will make a single payment of the Grant amount to the Recipient subject to sufficient funding being available to the Program and the Recipient complying with this Agreement.
- The Recipient must:
- Complete the project activity as detailed in their Successful Email (Activity).
- Attend an allocated Leadership Workshop (Workshop) conducted by Sport Australia, if detailed in their Successful Email.
- Promptly notify Sport Australia of anything reasonably likely to affect the completion of the Activity or attendance at the Workshop.
- Not do anything to bring the Recipient, the Program or Sport Australia into disrepute
- Only use the Grant for the purpose of undertaking the Activity.
- Keep records detailing the use and expenditure of the Grant, and make them available to Sport Australia or its authorised representatives, on request.
- Provide to Sport Australia within 30 days of completion of the Activity: (i) a statement and accompanying evidence in the form required by Sport Australia, verifying that the Activity has been successfully completed and the Grant has been spent in accordance with this Agreement; and (ii) a report on the Activity, in the form required by Sport Australia.
- Promptly repay to Sport Australia, any amount of the Grant which has not been used on approved expenditure of the Activity.
- The Recipient declares and warrants, at the date of agreeing to these Terms and Conditions, that she has not at any time been found to have breached any anti-doping rule or policy applicable to the Recipient, and has not engaged at any time in any conduct that constituted a breach of any anti-doping rule or policy applicable to the Recipient.
- Without limitation to any other rights of Sport Australia, if Sport Australia reasonably believes, at any time following the award of the Grant, that:
- The Recipient has provided false or misleading information in the application process.
- The Grant has been spent other than in accordance with this Agreement.
- The Recipient will not complete the Activity or has otherwise breached any of their obligations under this Agreement,
then Sport Australia may by written notice, terminate this agreement and/or require the Recipient to repay to Sport Australia, at Sport Australia’s absolute discretion, all or part of the Grant. The amount notified must be repaid within 30 days of any such notice.
- When dealing with Personal Information (as defined in the I) in carrying out the Activity, the Recipient agrees not to do anything which, if done by Sport Australia, would be a breach of the Privacy Act 1988.
- The personal details of Recipients (including name, home state, sport, the value of the Grant awarded, a brief description of the purpose for the Grant, and any photo or video footage of them produced in connection with the Program) may be released by Sport Australia to the public and the media for the use of promotional and educational purposes.
- The Recipient must, if requested by Sport Australia, cooperate with Sport Australia in relation to publicity initiatives regarding the Program.
- The Recipient is responsible for obtaining all appropriate insurances with respect to undertaking the Activity and complying with these terms and conditions.
- The Recipient agrees to indemnify Sport Australia and its officers, employees and contractors against any claim, loss or damage arising in connection with undertaking the Activity, or a breach of this Agreement. This obligation to indemnify Sport Australia will reduce proportionally to the extent that any act or omission involving fault on the part of Sport Australia, contributed to the claim loss or damage.
- Sport Australia reserves the right to cancel, suspend, postpone or vary the nature of the Workshop at any time and for any reason. Sport Australia will not be liable to any person for any loss, damage or claim arising from the Workshop or such variation, cancellation, suspension, or postponement.
- This Agreement does not create a relationship of employment, or agency between the Recipient and Sport Australia.
- This agreement is governed by the law of the Australian Capital Territory.