Leadership Workshops for Individuals
The WLIS Leadership Workshops enable you to develop your leadership capabilities and to learn and network with like-minded women in a supportive and safe environment. You will also learn to effectively manage the challenges within your sport and life and gain invaluable support from the experiences and knowledge of other women.
In 2018, a total of 115 women participated at the WLIS Leadership Workshops with an overall satisfaction rate of 100%.
Applications are now closed.
Leadership Workshops for Organisations
Leadership Workshops for Organisations provide opportunities for women within the same organisation to come together to develop individual leadership capabilities, build networks, collaborate and influence cultural change and drive future leadership development opportunities in the sport/organisation.
Applications are now closed.
Topics discussed in the workshops
- Exploring leadership
- Leadership styles and functions
- Leadership and culture
- Leadership and performance
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Leadership challenges
- Emotional Intelligence
- Driving vision, change management
"It was at these workshops that I grew in confidence and self-belief that I could take on leadership roles in sport. I also learnt a great deal from the other participants in terms of their journey in sport and the courses they have accessed."
"The workshop was a great opportunity to reflect on where I was at with my (career) and my future aspirations. It definitely empowered me to renew my short and long term goals within sport and in myself."
The 2019 WLIS Leadership Workshops will be facilitated by Sue Cormack.
Sue has long-term experience working in the sport sector at national, state and local levels and has delivered the WLIS Leadership Workshops for some years with a proven record of positive feedback from participants.
|2018 Participants’ Feedback||% Excellent/Very Good|
|Ability to Engage Everyone||100%|
|Ability to deal with issues raised||100%|
Given the diversity of the women at the workshops, the high level of expertise many come with and the amount of leadership/professional development already undertaken by many of the women, the feedback confirms the quality of the facilitators, the style of facilitation is right for the group and the content is well pitched, engaging and inclusive.
The dates and locations for the 2019 individual Leadership Workshops are:
|2-3 March 2019||Sydney (NSW, ACT residents)|
|16-17 March 2019||Melbourne (VIC, TAS residents)|
|6-7 April 2019||Adelaide (SA, WA residents)|
|4-5 May 2019||Sydney (NSW, ACT residents)|
|11-12 May 2019||Brisbane (NT, QLD residents)|
|1-2 June 2019||Melbourne (VIC, TAS residents)|
Successful applicants will be offered:
- attendance at one of the 2019 workshops which will be based on the applicant’s residential address, and at the discretion of Sport Australia
- meals during the workshop
- a group dinner
- accommodation if required, and
- travel arrangements, if you reside in the ACT, TAS, NT and WA.
Consideration may be given to support travel and additional accommodation costs borne by successful applicants residing in rural/remote areas for attending the workshops.
If you are at the start of your leadership pathway, we strongly encourage you to apply for the WLIS. Workshop participants, who have not received WLIS grants previously, may be looked favourably for future WLIS grants for individuals.
To be eligible to apply to attend a WLIS Leadership Workshop for Individuals, you must:
- be female;
- be aged 18 years or over;
- be an Australian citizen or have been granted permanent residence status;
- be involved in a paid or volunteer capacity at a local, state or national level in the sport industry; and
- be supported by a sporting organisation that is, or is affiliated with, a national sporting organisation recognised by Sport Australia. The supporting organisation must confirm that the individual is involved in a paid or volunteer capacity at a local, state or national level in the sport industry, and that their organisation supports the application. For a list of the organisations recognised by the Sport Australia please go to Australian Sports Directory.
Each workshop may comprise of women from 2 to 3 successful organisations. During the workshop, participants will develop their individual leadershpi skills and engage in groups activities to advance the sport.
A successful organisation can send a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 10 women to the workshop. Participants can be from different states and territories. Sport Australia will arrange and pay for travel and accommodation for the women to attend the workshop.
The dates and locations for the 2019 organisation Leadership Workshops will be decided when successful organisations are determined. These workshops are likely to be held between March and June 2019.
To be eligible to apply to send a group of women from your organisation to a Leadership Workshop for Organisations, your organisation must be:
- a national sporting organisation that is recognised and funded by Sport Australia, and
- have no outstanding acquittal and/or reporting requirements from prior Women Leaders in Sport grant recipients.