The Australian Sports Commission has created a modern approach to community coaching.
Developed in collaboration with the sport sector, the new approach is about supporting the development, education and training of coaches and empowering them to provide safe, fun and inclusive environments that focus on the needs of participants.
Australian Sports Commission position statement on community coaching
ESSENTIAL SKILLS COURSE
Free, online and available for coaches across all sports now!
Who I coach Having a solid understanding of each participant’s needs and values is critical for coach development.
Essential skills course A free online course which supports the education and development of coaches across Australia.
WHAT IS THE MODERN COACHING APPROACH?
The new approach will reshape the sporting experience and encourage more people to play, coach and enjoy sport.
- Coach centred
- Participant centred
- Formal learning only
- Bespoke learning opportunities
- Developing competencies to deliver an optimal experience for participants
- One size fits all
- Adaptable coaching to meet the needs of participants
- Holistic approach that develops participants’ physical, social, psychological and cognitive skills along with sport-specific skills
- Commanding coaching style
- Open, inquisitive, collaborative coaching style
- Competitive, outcome-focused
- Fun, inclusive, flexible, social
- Decrease in retention and recruitment of coaches
- Increases retention and recruitment of coaches
SUPPORT FOR SPORT
The Australian Sports Commission will provide blended opportunities to support the new approach to coaching.
COMMUNITY OF PRACTICE
The new approach will deliver a range of benefits for the whole sporting sector, from sporting organisations and clubs to coaches and most importantly, the participants themselves.