National sporting organisations (NSOs) and national sporting organisation for people with disability (NSODs) can apply to be recognised by Sport Australia as the pre-eminent body for the development of their sport in Australia.
Sport Australia recognised NSO/Ds are eligible to access a range of resources, including the use of the Commonwealth Coat of Arms on the playing uniforms of athletes representing Australia and the dress uniforms of accompanying officials.
From 2021, applications for recognition will be assessed annually from July each year. Sport Australia is currently reviewing its recognition criteria, which is expected to be finalised in May 2021. The application period will open in May 2021 and close on 30 June 2021. An extension will be considered by Sport Australia if a sporting organisation requires additional time to complete their application due to the delay in the release of the criteria. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be notified when applications open.
A full list of recognised NSOs and NSODs can be found in the Sport Australia Australian Sports Directory
A revised eligibility criteria will be available in May 2021.
The ASC will provide the following benefits to your organisation as a recognised NSO/D:
- the right, subject to any directions or guidelines given by the ASC, to refer to your organisation as a NSO/D recognised by Sport Australia and, on your organisation’s documents and website, to use the Sport Australia logo in conjunction with the following supporting text: “The Australian Government through Sport Australia recognises (your organisation) to develop (your sport) in Australia”;
- the opportunity to apply to use the Commonwealth Coat of Arms on playing and dress uniforms of Australian representative sports persons and by accompanying officials on their dress uniforms (requests must be made in writing to the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet);
- entry in the ASC’s online Australian Sports Directory as the NSO/D for (your sport);
- access to the ASC’s grant programs available to recognised NSO/Ds;
- invitations to attend workshops, seminars and other ASC forums conducted for recognised NSO/Ds; and
- access to NSO/D services and information from the National Sport Information Centre and the Clearinghouse for Sport.