01 October 2021
Shape the future of sport in Australia
The Australian Sports Commission (ASC) is seeking an experienced and visionary Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to drive Australian sport to be the best in the world and to be recognised nationally and internationally for its leadership role in the development and operation of the Australian sport system. As the Australian Government’s lead sport agency, the ASC funds, develops, and delivers innovative sports programmes, driving overall participation, high performance, and sport industry capability.
The Australian sport and physical activity sectors contribute around $83 billion of economic, health and education value for the Australian economy every year. As we emerge from the major disruption of the pandemic, sport will be a vital part of Australia’s economic, physical, and mental health recovery. Leveraging Australia’s success in Tokyo, the ASC’s goal is to further strengthen our existing high performance capability, reinvigorate involvement in grassroots sports around Australia, and build a pathway from community participation towards Commonwealth, Olympic and Paralympic Games success up to and beyond Brisbane in 2032.
Reporting to the ASC Board of Commissioners, the CEO will engage across the ASC and sports ecosystem, fostering a culture of collaboration, diversity and inclusion, accountability and innovation to deliver on the ASC’s vision to make Australia stronger through sport and to build sustainable winning systems for Australian athletes.
- Provide strategic direction and visionary leadership internally and externally, cultivating technological innovation in the sector and delivering on national sporting initiatives to achieve high performance goals and recognition as a world leader in sport.
- Build credibility with the sport sector, champion diversity and inclusion, and nurture constructive working relationships and strong partnerships with key stakeholders at the international, national, state and community levels.
- Lead, inspire and support a diverse team and develop a unified culture across the organisation.
- An inclusive leader with experience gained in a complex environment coupled with significant involvement with the sports sector. Knowledge of government will be essential.
- Collaborative, strategic and outcomes-focused underpinned by sound judgement and highly effective influencing and stakeholder management skills.
- An excellent communicator with an inspirational leadership style to engage and motivate high performing teams and individuals.
Global organisational consulting firm Korn Ferry are handling the recruitment, with applications open until Monday, 25 October 2021.