Volunteering plays a critical role in sport and we are dependent on volunteers to keep our community clubs open and our players playing.
Sport Australia recognises the significant value of sport volunteers but also the challenges we face in creative the best volunteer experience.
To better understand the opportunities for the future of sport volunteering, Sport Australia worked with partners from across the sport and volunteering sectors and drew upon the ‘Future of Sport Volunteering’ insights report to develop a vision for sport volunteering.
Vision for the future of sport volunteering
Realising the vision requires a change in how we think about the volunteer experience.
Five elements have been identified that should underpin all volunteer experiences and are agnostic to the sport, club, role or individual. These have been developed and iterated based on discussions with stakeholders.
The five elements are:
Make it feel like I belong
Make it easy to get involved
Tailor roles to my needs
Create value for me, the club, and the community
Sport Australia’s role
The National Sport Volunteering Plan outlines Sport Australia’s role in leading and supporting sport to navigate the evolving volunteer landscape. The impact of the national plan will be assessed annually over an initial four-year period.
Connecting sport and volunteering peak bodies to form an effective coalition
Create operational efficiencies across the coalition
Implement a four year Coalition Plan
Align current enablers to support volunteering e.g Game Plan, Sport Learning Centre, sportaus.gov.au
Create compelling content to promote the value of sport volunteering
Consolidate existing sector resources and increase visibility/access
Four year plan
Iterative approach to sport volunteering growth
- Establish sport volunteer coalition;
- Determine collaboration opportunities;
- Develop Coalition Plan.
- Align Sport Aus services and products;
- Develop compelling visual content;
- Consolidate sector tools and resources.
Sector is connected and stakeholders have clarity on roles and responsibilities to deliver the Coalition Plan
- Embed Coalition Plan;
- Implement strategic communications support to amplify visibility of the Coalition Plan;
- Evaluate alignment of Sport Aus products and services;
- Consolidate volunteer measurement data.
Coalition Plan is implemented and clearly communicated to the Sector
- Evaluate Coalition Plan impact;
- Confirm the operational gaps and opportunities for the Coalition Plan;
- Confirm ongoing suitability of products and services.
Coalition Plan is functional but adapted to reflect the sector requirements
- Baseline Coalition Plan performance data to assess impact;
- Confirm ongoing volunteering measurement metrics;
- Assess suitability of Coalition Plan;
- Confirm direction of sport volunteering role for Sport Aus.
Clarity on performance/impact of Coalition Plan – data to inform future direction
For more information
Please contact Matt Calf, A/g Director Sport Programs - email@example.com