Supported by the Australian Government, the Australian Sports Commission Play Well Participation Grant Program (the Program) will invest in innovative new or expand existing programs that address the barriers to participation and increase involvement in sport and physical activity.
Grants range from $10,000 to $300,000 to support eligible organisations.
National sporting organisations, national sporting organisations for people with disability, national physical activity providers and Local Government Councils are eligible to apply. Clubs are not eligible to apply as primary grant applicants but are encouraged to talk to their state and/or national bodies to express their interest in the Program.
The objectives of the Program are to support organisations to contribute to the following priorities:
- Increase involvement in sport and physical activity through the provision of inclusive and quality sport and physical activity experiences, and
- Address the barriers to sport and physical activity and provide more opportunities to be involved in sport and physical activity programs for those in the community who face the most barriers.
An optional information session on the Play Well Participation Grant Program will be held for eligible organisations on 30 November 2023, between 3:30pm – 4:15pm (AEDT). To register for the session, please click the button below.
- Information Session: 3:30pm - 4:15pm AEDT Thursday 30 November 2023
- Applications open: 9:00am AEDT Wednesday 23 November 2023
- Applications close: 2:00pm AEDT Friday 23 February 2024
- Notification of outcomes and funding announcements: From Monday 1 April 2024
The funding will be split across two competitive funding streams:
- Stream 1 to support national sport and peak physical activity organisations to deliver programs across at least three Australian states or territories (two for snow sport projects). Projects should focus on driving lifelong involvement in sport and physical activity.
- National Pilot Projects between $50,000 and $100,000
- National Expansion Projects between $100,000 and $300,000
- Project Evaluation funding up to $20,000 awarded to up to five organisations to receive additional funding to undertake an independent evaluation
- Stream 2 to support Local Government Councils to form partnerships to deliver Projects that address local barriers to involvement in sport.
- Community Projects between $10,000 and $40,000
To be eligible to receive funding through the Play Well Participation Grant Program, primary applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Not be (and ensure that any Partner organisation is not), an organisation named by the National Redress Scheme for Institutional Child Sexual Abuse on its list of "institutions that have not joined or signified their intent to join the Scheme."
- Have no outstanding debts through other funding programs or services administered by the ASC.
Stream 1: National Pilot Projects and National Expansion Projects
- Be a National Sporting Organisation (NSO) or National Sporting Organisation for people with Disability (NSOD) recognised by the ASC. For a list of recognised organisations, please visit the ASC’s Australian Sports Directory; or
- Be a National/Peak body supporting the provision of sport and physical activity and have delivery reach in a minimum of three Australian States and Territories (two for snow sport projects)
- Be a not-for-profit that has been operating for at least three years.
Stream 2: Community Projects
- Be a *Local Government Council
- Must partner with a State or Local sporting organisation and/or university to deliver at least one sport listed on the ASC's Sport Directory
- The Project must be held within the boundaries of the primary applicant’s Local Government Area (LGA).
*Every state/territory, except the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), has a separate system of Local Government. As a result, the ACT Government will be eligible to submit one application in Stream 2.
Read the Program Guidelines for information about eligibility.
Who is not eligible as a primary grant applicant?
You are ineligible to apply as a primary grant applicant if you are:
- a for-profit organisation
- a Regional or State/Territory Association
- a local club
- an organisation that has been operating with a not-for-profit status for less than three years
- an individual, partnership or trust
- a school or university, or
- a Commonwealth, state or territory government agency or body (including government business enterprises). This excludes government agencies listed as eligible through these Guidelines.
How to apply
Before you apply, please read the Program Guidelines to make sure you understand all relevant requirements.
Only one application per Primary grant applicant will be eligible for submission. Any subsequent application submitted will be ineligible for assessment.
Applicants will be able to select between a written and video response for certain components of the form. If selecting to respond via video:
- The video must not be more than 2 minutes in length per question
- Must address the question prompt on the application form
- Must be uploaded by providing an accessible link in the application form
All applications must be submitted online during the funding application period.
No late application submissions will be accepted after the application closing time.
To apply you must: