Gymnastics Australia is pleased to offer its Sporting Schools program to children across Australia’s school yards.
By developing a child’s fundamental movement skills, Gymnastics provides a sound basis for further skill development across all sports.
Gymnastics promotes all-round physical development, muscular strength and endurance, joint flexibility, balance, coordination and core strength required for everyday living.
Gymnastics Australia offers flexible primary and secondary school programs to meet the individual needs of schools and encourage children to participate in this great sport.
“Gymnastics was the starting point for me as I was a very acrobatic kid as a 6 year old and I was flipping and twisting off everything I could and mum and dad eventually put two and two together and enrolled me into Gymnastics.”
Lydia Lassila, Olympic Gold Medallist
Primary School Programs
Gymnastics is to sport what the alphabet is to reading. Launchpad is Gymnastics Australia’s suite of junior recreational gymnastics programs for children to enjoy.
LaunchPad gymnastics promotes and encourages the importance of developing fundamental movement skills at a young age.
Programs have been designed to give children the opportunity to practice, develop and, most importantly, enjoy moving.
By participating in a wide-range of activities, our programs help children develop physically, socially and cognitively.
Gymnastics Australia’s LaunchPad programs cater for children of all ages and are expertly designed to cater for all stages of physical, social and cognitive development.
- Gymnastics the focus is on fundamental movement patterns that help children progress into more advanced skills or sports. The games and activities encourage children to work with others and build self-esteem. As children develop more control of their bodies through fundamental movement, more specific activities and skills are introduced. Students are encouraged to learn, reproduce and create more complex movement sequences.
- Aerobics is a fantastic taste of the sport of aerobics. Students will gain the confidence to create and perform choreographed aerobics routines. The lessons in the LaunchPad Aerobics resource align with the Australian Curriculum: Health and Physical Education, providing opportunities for students to learn through movement. It supports them in broadening the range and complexity of fundamental movement skills they are able to perform. They learn how to select, transfer and apply simple movement skills and sequences individually, in groups and in teams.
- FreeG Kids is an exciting combination of gymnastics, obstacle training and freestyle movement. Through a mix of skills and progressions, children learn coordination from gymnastics, strength and agility from obstacle training, creativity for freestyle movement as well as listening skills and confidence. All lessons are aligned to the Australian Curriculum: Health and Physical Education and are designed to challenge children to try new things in a supportive environment.
LaunchPad Inclusive Gymnastics Program
The LaunchPad inclusive Gymnastics program has been developed through the partnership with Special Olympics Australia and Gymnastics Australia. The highly popular LaunchPad Gymnastics program has been reviewed and adapted to cater for students with intellectual disabilities and autism. Our coaches delivering the program have undertaken training with Special Olympics Australia to meet the needs of the participants.
Secondary School Programs
Gymnastics Australia’s programs are designed for secondary school students in Year 7 and 8 to develop their competence and capability to confidently engage in sport and a healthy lifestyle.
- Gymnastics sessions are sequentially designed and focus on the fundamental skills associated with a range of exciting gymsports. Sessions are structured to include warm-ups, circuits, and opportunities for guided discovery learning and cool down.
- AeroSchools is an exciting taste of the sport of aerobics. Students will gain the confidence to create and perform choreographed aerobics routines. As a teacher, you don’t need to be able to dance to successfully deliver the AeroSchools program. The lessons in the AeroSchools resource align with the Australian Curriculum: Health and Physical Education, providing opportunities for students to learn through movement. It supports them in broadening the range and complexity of fundamental movement skills they are able to perform. They learn how to select, transfer and apply simple movement skills and sequences individually, in groups and in teams. Included in the AeroSchools program is the School Gymnastics resource pack.
- FreeG fuses gymnastics, acrobatic tricks, leaps and obstacle courses made famous through stunt performers and Ninja Warrior. FreeG classes are about exploring different ways of moving through space with participants encouraged to find new and creative uses for traditional gymnastics equipment. This program has been developed to cater for participants with no previous experience of FreeG or similar styles of movement. All lessons are aligned to the Australian Curriculum: Health and Physical Education and are designed to encourage students to take responsibility for their learning. Check out the www.freeg.org.au website for more information and to view some awesome videos of the skills students will learn.
Program Cost and Structure
All programs are facilitated by Gymnastics Australia endorsed coaches and suitably accredited teachers and consist of a minimum of four sessions.
Coach delivered programs are flexible and can be facilitated at your school, local gymnastics club and/or a hybrid of the two.
All programs incur a $170 (+ GST) Gymnastics Australia administration fee. The coach/provider delivered program fees are in addition to the administration fee and are negotiated directly with the provider. Gymnastics Australia will invoice the school directly for the administration fee once the program is confirmed in the Sporting Schools online portal. The provider will also invoice the school for the agreed program delivery fee. The administration fee covers the following:
- Schools access to the chosen program resource and shipping costs
- Schools 12 months access to the online GymMix lesson planner
- Internal program development fees.
Teachers who have completed the LaunchPad Schools Teacher Workshop can deliver a teacher delivered gymnastics program in Sporting Schools. Teachers can complete this course by booking in a teacher delivered package via the Sporting Schools Booking System. The LaunchPad Schools Teacher Workshop incurs a fee of $129 in addition to the program admin fee.
A teacher only needs to complete this workshop once, not each time a teacher delivered program is booked. If a teacher has completed the previous ‘Ignite’ workshop in the past years (since 2015), they will not need to complete this workshop. Recognition of prior learning (RPL) will be applied.
Schools can request an endorsed coaching provider by using the Sporting Schools booking system. Your school can find a provider from the Gymnastics Australia club finder on the Gymnastics Australia website (select Sporting Schools from the program menu) and request them directly in your school’s booking request. Once the program request has been allocated to a provider, they will contact you to discuss the program details further and provide a quote for the delivery of the program.
Schools have the opportunity to select from a range of equipment at discounted prices through our partner equipment AMCO when booking a Sporting Schools program.
For more information, please contact email@example.com
Teachers can deliver gymnastics programs in Sporting Schools by meeting the requirements below:
- Hold a valid state and/or territory teacher registration
- Confirm adequacy of insurance
- Completion of the LaunchPad Schools Teacher Workshop
Teachers can complete this course by booking in a teacher delivered package via the Sporting Schools Booking System.
To become a coach and deliver gymnastics in Sporting Schools please ensure you are working towards the following requirements:
- Be aged 16 years or over
- Hold a current Working With Children Check
- Confirm adequacy of insurance
- Intermediate Coaching Qualifications or above
Sporting Schools is an Australia-wide program in partnership with over 30 national sporting organisations (NSO), of which Gymnastics Australia are one.
Gymnastics Australia coordinates all Sporting Schools programs and do not require external coaching providers. For further information please contact Gymnastics Australia.
Gymnastics Australia Resources
A set of lesson plans and 12 month access to the GymMix online Lesson Planner is available with all Sporting Schools programs allowing teachers to build lessons including Warm Up, Skill Development, Circuits and Cool Down activities in four easy steps:
- Select Activities
- Drag them into lesson plan
- Same your lesson plan
- Print lesson plan and take it with you to class
For more information visit the Gymnastics Australia GymShop.
In partnership with Special Olympics Australia, Gymnastics Australia has created TREE – a practical tool that supports coaches to modify games and activities to be more inclusive and enhance the participant experience. Download the TREE resource.