- Teaching introductory taekwondo techniques and learning about the martial art
- Promoting curriculum-aligned activities that are inclusive and ensures students are physically active
- Highlighting positive messages targeting social and emotional development
- Developing students' self-esteem, concentration, focus and discipline
- Most importantly, cultivating a fun and safe experience for all students!
“Taekwondo offers all the same fun and fitness as many other sports but it is underpinned by a series of tenets that form a whole approach to life. They include courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self-control and indomitable spirit.”
Ben Exton, Participation Manager, Australian Taekwondo
Taekwondo Kickstarters is a modified taekwondo program for primary school students, developed in collaboration with industry experts and aligned to the Australian Curriculum.
The purpose of Taekwondo Kickstarters is to:
- Give children a fun, first taekwondo experience that gets students moving and creates a strong attachment to the martial art
- Create a consistent program experience by supporting coaches with easy-to-deliver lessons and supporting resources
- Offer an attractive taekwondo program for schools that aligns to curriculum outcomes.
Please note: An online (live streamed) coach-delivered program can be requested in the event an accredited coach is not available to do it in person.
Please book your coach delivered program 7-10 days in advance of your first session.
Taekwondo Kickstarters programs can be delivered without any specialist equipment, however items such as cones (markers), mitts (also called focus pads), taekwondo paddles/clappers and shields can be used to enhance program delivery.
Please note that boxing gloves are not used for the delivery of taekwondo and doboks (taekwondo attire/clothing) are not required.
Schools can purchase a Taekwondo Kickstarters equipment package by following the below instructions.
Send an email to email@example.com with the below info:
Schools order number: SS-TKP
Teachers can deliver taekwondo in Sporting Schools by meeting the requirements below:
Teachers can complete these courses by booking a teacher delivered package via the Sporting Schools Booking System.
To become a coach and deliver taekwondo in Sporting Schools please ensure you are working towards the following requirements:
In locations where Taekwondo Instructors or teachers cannot deliver the program, Australian Taekwondo has developed a Community Coach Accreditation stream. The requirements for this include:
Sporting Schools is an Australia-wide program in partnership with over 30 national sporting organisations (NSO), of which Australian Taekwondo is one.
All Australian Taekwondo Sporting Schools programs are facilitated through Australian Taekwondo's affiliated clubs.
For further information please contact Australian Taekwondo.
Australian Taekwondo Resources
Visit the Taekwondo Kickstarters website to download the program model, coach's handbook and curriculum overview.
Once you register your interest to become an accredited coach, you will be provided with the full curriculum and lesson plans, access to the video database and a suite of communication materials to assist in the delivery of the program.