Weet-Bix TRYstars in Schools allows children to develop fundamental movement skills and triathlon specific skills and tactics through fun games and activities.
Each session is designed with a particular physical activity outcome and skill development focus in mind. The games are selected purposefully to achieve these objectives.
The program focusses on the three disciplines of a triathlon (swim, bike and run) and can be adapted depending on the capacity of the school environment (eg. for schools without access to swim facilities, a bike and run program can be implemented culminating in a mini duathlon).
Coaches play a facilitator role by setting challenges for students and allowing them to find solutions through games and play. This helps students stay engaged at a level that suits their own ability, and allows them to develop their confidence, competence and skill level.
There are two Weet-Bix TRYstars in Schools programs available for teacher or coach delivery in Sporting Schools:
The Explore Program
Aimed at students aged 7-9 years, the Explore Program provides students with early exposure to a variety of movement experiences. The focus is on the early learning, execution and acquisition of basic movement foundations relating to motor skills through informal play, practice and games via both Triathlon and non-Triathlon activities and environments.
The Learn Program
Aimed at students aged 10-12 the Learn Program encourages students to advance and refine Explore phase movement skills through broad exposure to formal and informal play, practice and games. The program includes both Triathlon and non-Triathlon activities and environments.
For students to participate in Weet-Bix TRYstars in Schools, they must be:
- In grade 3, 4, 5 or 6 (7 for South Australia)
- Able to ride a bike unaided
- Able to swim 25 metres in the pool unaided
Week 1 - Swim, Ride, Run Games
Week 2 - Swim, Ride, Run Games
Week 3 - Swim, Ride, Run Games
Week 4 - Mini-Triathlon
The program is designed to be flexible and fit within various school environments. For example, if logistically appropriate all the swim sessions can be done together, similar for the ride and run, or they can be completed together.
Similarly, where it is difficult to access pools or waterways for swim games, schools may choose to conduct ride and run games only. The end goal of these programs can be a mini duathlon consisting of run, ride, and run legs.
The school will be able to discuss with the coach/es what format will suit the particular school environment.
|Package Type||Up to 12 participants||Up to 24 participants||Up to 36 participants|
**Please contact your local State Triathlon Contact for further information.
Schools have the option to purchase a Weet-Bix TRYstars in Schools Equipment Pack, which includes:
- Stop watch
- Marker cones
- Sunken treasure
- Tennis balls
- Hula hoops
- Micro hurdles
The cost for the Equipment Kit is $200 per kit.
To purchase the kit, please contact your local State Triathlon Contact.
Teachers can deliver Triathlon in Sporting Schools by meeting the requirements below.
- Hold a valid state and/or territory teacher registration
- Confirm adequacy of insurance
- Hold a current First Aid & CPR certification
- Triathlon Australia Weet-Bix TRYstars in Schools Online Coaching Course
- Review of Triathlon Australia Weet-Bix TRYstars in Schools Framework and Activity Descriptors
- See Weet-Bix TRYstars Coach Requirements for more information.
To become a coach and deliver Triathlon in Sporting Schools please ensure you are working towards the following requirements:
- Be aged 18 years or over
- Hold a current Working With Children Check
- Confirm adequacy of insurance
- Have current First Aid & CPR Certification
- Have completed Community Coaching General Principles (2014 or later)
- Complete Play by the Rules - Child Protection Course (2014 or later)
- Complete Play by the Rules - Discrimination & Harassment Course (2014 or later)
- Triathlon Australia TRYStars Schools Online Coaching Course
- Triathlon Australia TRYStars Coaching Workshop
- Review of Triathlon Australia TRYStars Schools Framework and Activity Descriptors
- See Weet-Bix TRYstars Coach Requirements for more information
Sporting Schools is an Australia-wide program in partnership with over 30 national sporting organisations (NSO), of which Triathlon Australia is one.
Triathlon Australia coordinates all Sporting Schools programs and do not require external coaching providers. For further information please contact Triathlon Australia.
Triathlon Australia Resources
A series of session cards have been developed to assist teachers and coaches to facilitate student achievement in TRYstars programs.
The Weet-Bix TRYstars session cards (and the swim, bike, run and transition games within them) can be adapted to suit the environment and the skills of the students involved.
Each session card incorporates at least one swim game, one ride game and one run game.
Find out more in the Weet-Bix TRYstars Manual