Schools are required to use the grant only for permitted activities (e.g. program delivery and associated costs) within the approved funding period under Sporting Schools and for no other purpose. Expenditure of funds or program delivery cannot be rolled over to another school term (funding period).
The parameters help to describe the characteristics of required activities for schools participating in Sporting Schools. All schools which receive Sporting Schools funding are required to comply with the following parameters*:
- Deliver a minimum of one Sporting Schools partner sport within the approved funding period
- Provide Sporting Schools programs as a free service. Schools must not request payment from children or families to participate in activities under Sporting Schools
- Provide Sporting Schools programs as complementary to existing sport and physical education curriculum delivery
- Deliver a Sporting Schools partner sport program, with a minimum of four sessions, which apply the Playing for Life key principles:
- Each session must:
- have the same participants taking part
- have a minimum of 10 participants
- engage participants of all abilities; and
- actively engage participants for the duration of the session (i.e. 45 – 60 minutes of activity).
- Each session must:
- Ensure active supervision is provided for activities under Sporting Schools in addition to the coach
- Deliver activities under Sporting Schools to the number of participants identified in the approved grant application
- Spend funding on Sporting Schools activities and supported costs only within the approved funding period (school term)
- Deliver the program before, during or after school, during the nominated funding period (school term)
- Comply with Sport Australia’s financial declaration (acquittal) and reporting requirements.
Sport Australia has partnered with more than 35 NSOs to deliver Sporting Schools programs across Australia. Our partner NSOs offer developmentally appropriate and curriculum-aligned programs for children designed specifically for the school environment. They also provide quality delivery resources and professional development for teachers to support teacher delivery.
Schools can use their site account to login to the online Sporting Schools portal to access coach and teacher-delivered sport packages in the booking system, and make bookings with partner NSOs and their approved organisations. Each sport package on offer meets the minimum number of sessions and participants required by Sporting Schools and each coach accessible through the booking system meets all coaching requirements, including a valid working with children check.
* Note that schools with less than 10 students can still apply. Delivery equivalent to 3-4 hours per participant is supported where school or program delivery location requires intensive delivery.
Due to exceptional circumstances (such as the Covid-19 pandemic resulting in extended school closure or other circumstances approved by Sport Australia), schools may have an Exceptional Circumstances Activity Plan approved if they are unable to deliver a program within the funding period.