To apply for a Local Sporting Champions grant, you need to submit your application through the Apply Now form.
To complete an application, you will need:
- your personal/contact details;
- details of the championship you are attending;
- details of your school (if relevant) and local sporting club;
- your coach or official accreditation ID (if relevant);
- details for a contact (e.g. coach) within your club/team to confirm your selection;
- contact details of your parent(s)/guardian(s); and
- personal bank account details for you or your parent(s)/guardian(s).
You will also have to write a paragraph or two in response to questions about:
- why this competition is important to you;
- how committed you are to your sport;
- your training schedule and the championships selection process; and
- why you are applying for the grant (can include an estimated cost of attending the championships and personal/family circumstances).
You should submit an application:
- once you have been selected to attend the championships and your participation has been confirmed; and
- before the championships commence or up to one month post completion of your nominated championships.
Review the table below to determine the best time to submit an application to ensure you can be notified of the outcome as soon as possible.
Note: applications made for competitions more than four months in advance of the round closing date will be ineligible and asked to submit a new application in the next round, closer to the competition date.
|Round||Round Opening Date*||Round Closing Date*||Assessment Period||Applicant Notified / Paid|
|Round 3, 2021/22||1 Oct 2021 at 12.00am (AEST)||31 Dec 2021 at 11.59pm (AEDT)||Jan - Feb 2022||Mar 2022|
|Round 4, 2021/22||1 Jan 2022 at 12.00am (AEDT)||31 Mar 2022 at 11.59pm (AEDT)||Apr - May 2022||May 2022|
|Round 1, 2022/23||1 Apr 2022 at 12.00am (AEDT)||30 Jun 2022 at 11.59pm (AEST)||Jul - Aug 2022||Aug 2022|
|Round 2, 2022/23||1 Jul 2022 at 12.00am (AEST)||30 Sep 2022 at 11.59pm (AEST)||Oct - Nov 2022||Nov 2022|
|Round 3, 2022/23||1 Oct 2022 at 12.00am (AEST)||31 Dec 2022 at 11.59pm (AEDT)||Jan - Feb 2023||Mar 2023|
* Applications must be submitted within these dates to be assessed during the associated round.
It is recommended that you click Save Progress when you are filling out a form - for security reasons you will be logged out of the system if 60 minutes has elapsed and you have not saved your progress or navigated between pages.
If you wish to leave the application process prior to submitting your form, press ‘save progress’ and log out.
When you log back in and click on the 'My Submissions' link at the top of the screen, you will see any applications you have started or submitted. You can reopen your draft application and continue where you left off.
You can also download your application, whether draft or completed, as a PDF. Click on the 'Download' button located at the bottom of the last page of the application form.
You will find a Review and Submit button at the bottom of the navigation panel. You need to review your application before you can submit it.
When you submit an application, you will receive an email, which will include a copy of your submitted responses.
It is important that you check the information in the attachment and email us at email@example.com immediately should any information be incorrect
Haven't received a copy of your application? Check your junk email folder. If you still cannot find this please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may need to upload supporting documentation with your application.
You need to allow enough time for each file to upload before trying to attach another file. Files can be up to 25MB each; however, we do recommend trying to keep files to a maximum of 5MB – the larger the file, the longer the upload time. Please see list of supported file types.
If you are attending multiple eligible championships, it is encouraged to submit an application for each eligible championship.
Applicants are eligible to receive two grants per allocation year, where at least one grant is for an international competition.
Note: This program is highly competitive and currently oversubscribed. As a result, the grant cannot be guaranteed. However, submitting an application for each eligible championship can demonstrate to the assessment panel your dedication to sport and the increased cost incurred to attend each championship.
For instructions about using the portal, see SmartyGrants Help Guide for Applicants.
For any further questions, please contact the Local Sporting Champions program administrators on 02 6214 1462 or email email@example.com
Have any questions about Local Sporting Champions?
Saturday – Sunday: Closed
*excluding national and ACT public holidays