Applicants must meet the following criteria
- Be turning 12 to 18 years of age in the same calendar year as the nominated championships.
- Be an Australian citizen or have been granted permanent resident status, residing in Australia.
- Be participating as an athlete, coach, or match official in:
- an official state championships endorsed by the relevant Sport Australia recognised national sporting organisation (NSO), National Sporting Organisations for people with Disability (NSOD) or a School Sport Australia member body; or
- an official national championships endorsed by the relevant Sport Australia recognised NSO or School Sport Australia; or
- an international competition as a member of an official Australian team, representing a Sport Australia recognised NSO or School Sport Australia.
- Those attending a state championships must be living more than 125km from the championships venue, and travelling greater than 250km return to participate in the nominated championships*.
- Must complete and submit the application prior to or up to one month post completion of your nominated championships**
- May receive a maximum of two grants in the same allocation year (1 April 2020 – 31 March 2021) for attending either:
- one state or national championships and one international competition; or
- two different international competitions.
- Must incur out-of-pocket expenses equal to, or greater than, the grant amount they are eligible to receive.
* Those attending a national championships or international competition do not need to be travelling a minimum distance to be eligible.
** Saved applications must be completed and submitted prior to or up to one month after the completion of the nominated championships.
Along with meeting the eligibility criteria, to receive a grant applicants must abide by the program Terms and Conditions.
Have questions about the Eligibility Criteria? Check out the FAQ’s for more information.
Terms and Conditions
- Sport Australia may accept or reject any application for a Local Sporting Champions program (Program) grant in its absolute discretion.
- If Sport Australia decides to award a grant (Grant) to the applicant, the Grant will be made subject to these Terms and Conditions.
- Sport Australia will make a one-off payment to the successful Applicant (Applicant).
- If the Applicant is required to be registered for GST:
- the Grant will be increased by the prevailing rate of GST; and
- before the Grant will be paid, the Applicant must indicate whether they require Sport Australia to generate a tax invoice on behalf of the Applicant. By selecting YES to Q11 in the application form, the Applicant is authorising Sport Australia to generate a tax invoice with respect to the Grant on the Applicant’s behalf.
- If the Applicant is not required to be registered for GST, either:
- the Applicant has indicated to Sport Australia that he or she is an individual and is participating in the nominated sporting championships as a recreational pursuit or hobby; or
- the Applicant has provided Sport Australia with his or her Australian Business Number (ABN).
- The Applicant must:
- meet all eligibility criteria (as set out in the application form) for application and receipt of the Grant, and must promptly notify Sport Australia if he or she no longer fulfils all eligibility criteria;
- only use the Grant towards associated costs of attending the nominated sporting championships, or where the championships has taken place, as a reimbursement for attending the nominated sporting championships;
- keep records detailing the use and expenditure of the Grant, and allow Sport Australia or its authorised representatives, to access these records for the purpose of auditing the use of the Grant;
- when attending the nominated sporting championships, conduct him or herself in a dignified and reputable manner; and
- when attending the nominated sporting championships, ensure that he or she agrees to be bound by, and comply with, Sport Australia’s Anti-Doping Policy available on Sport Australia’s website.
- Without limitation to any other rights of Sport Australia, if Sport Australia reasonably believes, at any time following the award of the Grant, that the Applicant:
- has provided false or misleading information in the application;
- has not attended, or will not attend, the nominated sporting championships; or
- has otherwise breached any of its obligations set out in these Terms and Conditions,then Sport Australia may, by written notice, require the Applicant to repay Sport Australia, at Sport Australia’s absolute discretion, all or part of the Grant. The amount notified must be repaid within 30 days of any such notice. In addition, Sport Australia may decline any future grant application for the Program or any other grant program managed, operated, facilitated or funded by Sport Australia submitted by the Applicant.
- Before or after the award of the Grant, the Applicant must, if requested by Sport Australia, cooperate with Sport Australia in relation to publicity initiatives regarding the Program.
- Any personal information that is submitted via this application form is collected by Sport Australia for the purpose of considering applications for grants and administering the Program. The information collected may be disclosed to Members of Parliament and other government agencies for this purpose.
- Details of successful Applicants (including, but not limited to: biographical information such as their name, home state, sport, and any photo or video footage of them produced in connection with the Program; the value of the Grant awarded; and a brief description of the purpose for the Grant) may be released by Sport Australia to the public (including Members of Parliament and the Australian Government) and the media, and may be placed on Sport Australia or other appropriate websites (including various social media platforms), for promotional purposes and administering the Program.
Have any questions about Local Sporting Champions?
Saturday – Sunday: Closed
*excluding national and ACT public holidays