The below information will assist you to understand the assessment process.
In 2020/21, the Local Sporting Champions program will be administered over four rounds with applications assessed every four months.
The timeframe for when an application is assessed is determined by when the application is submitted, as outlined below:
|Round||Round Opening Date*||Round Closing Date*||Assessment Period||Applicant Notified / Paid|
|Round 4, 2019/20||1 Jan 2020 at 12.00am (AEDT)||31 Mar 2020 at 11.59pm (AEDT)||Apr - May 2020||May 2020|
|Round 1, 2020/21||1 Apr 2020 at 12.00am (AEDT)||30 Jun 2020 at 11.59pm (AEST)||Jul - Aug 2020||Aug 2020|
|Round 2, 2020/21||1 Jul 2020 at 12.00am (AEST)||30 Sep 2020 at 11.59pm (AEST)||Oct - Nov 2020||Nov 2020|
|Round 3, 2020/21||1 Oct 2020 at 12.00am (AEST)||31 Dec 2020 at 11.59pm (AEDT)||Jan - Feb 2021||Mar 2021|
|Round 4, 2020/21||1 Jan 2021 at 12.00am (AEDT)||31 Mar 2021 at 11.59pm (AEDT)||Apr - May 2021||May 2021|
* Applications must be submitted within these dates to be assessed during the associated round.
The assessment and payment timeframes are set as per the table above. We endeavor to finalise the process as soon as possible, however Sport Australia is unable to assess or process the grant earlier than the stated dates for each round.
Note: Due to the high volume of emails we receive, Sport Australia kindly ask that you do not contact us about the status of your application until the month after the stated 'Applicants Notified / Paid' timeline listed in the table above.
Successful applicants will be notified via email or mail.
Receiving the grant
Successful applicants will be sent a bank details form to complete.
Payment will be made within 14 days of submission and acceptance of this form.
Requirements of receiving a grant
As a recipient, you are required to:
- Abide by the program Terms and Conditions;
- Spend the grant on any associated cost of attending the nominated championships, or use the grant as a reimbursement for any associated costs incurred for attending the nominated championships;
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if your contact details or circumstances change, particularly if you are no longer able to attend the nominated championships; and
- Keep records as proof of spending the grant and attending the nominated championships, and provide them to Sport Australia for the purpose of auditing the grant (if requested).
As a successful applicant, you may be selected for a check on how you have used your grant. These obligations are set out in the program Terms and Conditions.
If contacted, you must:
- comply with any requests by the designated due date; and
- provide Sport Australia, or its authorised representatives, with records* confirming that the grant was used towards your participating at the nominated championships.
* These records can be receipts or bank transaction records confirming the date and amount relevant to your attendance at the nominated championships. Examples include:
- A flight itinerary showing your name, the departure and return dates, and total cost.
- A receipt showing relevant accommodation details which aligns with the championship dates.
- An invoice and/or associated receipt for the championship registration fee which clearly lists your name and the name of the nominated championships.
- Receipts for meals/taxi fares that align with your travel/attendance at the championships.
If your application is unsuccessful, you will be notified via email within two months from the round closing.
The LSC program is currently oversubscribed with a large number of applications received each year. The program regularly receives high calibre applications resulting in an extremely competitive assessment process where the funding cannot be guaranteed.
Tips to strengthen future applications
Applicants are encouraged to:
- Write the application yourself, with the help from a parent/guardian;
- Review the dot points listed under each question of the application form of the suggested information to include in each section;
- Prepare detailed responses to the questions (e.g. using a Word doc.) ensuring you keep within the character count and conduct a spell check; and
- Remember that the assessment panel may not know you personally, so your application is a snapshot of why you are most deserving of a grant.
If unsuccessful, Sport Australia encourages you to submit another application if you are attending another eligible competition.
You may also wish to explore the list of Third Party Funding Opportunities.
Have any questions about Local Sporting Champions?
Saturday – Sunday: Closed
*excluding national and ACT public holidays